The city of Brandon, Manitoba is situated in the southwestern region of the province. The city is the 2nd biggest city behind Winnipeg and is largest city in the western section of Manitoba. Spruce Woods Provincial Park and CFB Shilo are found close by to the southeast of the city. Brandon is located along the Assiniboine River. 30 minutes towards the north, Minnedosa Lake is found.
The city served initially as a major junction for the CPR or likewise known as Canadian Pacific Railway along the Assiniboine River. Brandon was incorporated in 1882. Brandon has become a key agricultural hub for this part of the province. The city has a metro population of over 46,000 and the trading area is between 70,000 and 150,000 placing it second in the province of Manitoba after Winnipeg.
The business in the city of Brandon is reflected by its history in agriculture. The major businesses are related to agriculture with hog processing plants, and fertilizer plants. Additionally, retail areas and government services for the nearby region of Westman make up a few of the economic factors. The city is home to the Brandon Wheat Kings, a hockey team, the Brandon University and the Assiniboine Community College. HMCS, the Canadian warship, the reserve unit of Brandon City, the 26th Field Artillery Regiment and the Royal Canadian Artillery are named after the city of Brandon.
The area all-around Brandon was largely used by the Bird Tails, the Yellow Quills, the Sioux people and the Bungays before the influx of people from Eastern Canada. The Plains Bison were almost wiped out completely in the 1870s and early 1880s because of over hunting. Once the nomadic Sioux people felt the destruction of the buffalo, which were their staff of life, they began to agree to settle in reservations like the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation. Others fled the area completely.
Many French Canadians additionally passed through the area on their way to the Hudson Bay Post of Fort Ellice on river boats. This post was situated near the existing St. Lazare. Historians claim that the city of Brandon got its name from the Blue Hills located south of the city. These hills apparently derived their name from a Hudson's Bay trading post that was known as Brandon House, which derived its name from a hill on an island in James Bay, where in the year 1631, Captain James had anchored his ship.
Each year in Brandon, the city hosts various arts festivals, that includes the famous Brandon Jazz Festival, Brandon Festival of the Arts and Brandon Folk Festival. The Brandon Folk Festival occurs during the summer season on the Keystone Centre grounds. The yearly "Pro Series" in addition to the music festivals are hosted by the Brandon University School of Music.